One of the simplest dishes to make in the world is potato pasta, which most people enjoy either on its own or with pickles. As long as I can remember, in our family, potato pasta has always been accompanied by meat. Roasted chicken or pork, seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic – we pour the rendered fat over the pasta, which makes it truly delicious.
The secret to good potato pasta is onions and roasted fat. We start the cooking process by using a roux base, and finely chopped sautéed onions are the heart of the dish. Drizzling it with the roasted fat adds that extra touch that makes it even more flavorful.
Of course, there have been reinterpretations as well. There is a sweet potato version, where the potatoes are first baked in the oven. Once they turn golden brown, they are mashed with salt, pepper, and then mixed with the pasta.
for 4 servings
– 1 kg potatoes
– 4 medium-sized onions
– 1 tablespoon ground paprika
– Salt to taste
– Pepper to taste
– 500 grams square-shaped pasta (kockatészta)
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
1. Peel and dice the cleaned potatoes, then set them aside.
2. Finely chop the onions and start sautéing them in a little oil. When the onions have softened sufficiently, remove them from heat, sprinkle the ground paprika over them, and mix well with the diced potatoes. Return the mixture to the stove.
3. Pour enough water over the potatoes to cover them. Cook while stirring frequently until the potatoes become tender and the sauce thickens.
4. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package until it’s done, then combine it with the potato mixture and mix thoroughly.
5. You can serve the potato pasta with roasted meat, drizzling the rendered fat over the pasta, which will make it even more delicious. Enjoy!