Master the art of making Langos, a delicious fried Hungarian bread best enjoyed warm. Simplify the recipe by using instant yeast and a stand mixer for dough preparation.
For Langos dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (280 grams)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1¼ teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm milk (250 ml)
- oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , to taste
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- ketchup (optional)
- Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a stand mixer bowl. Mix with a spoon. Add yeast and mix again. Pour in milk and quickly mix with a spoon.
- Attach the bread attachment and mix on low speed for about 3-4 minutes or until well combined.
- Wrap the bowl with plastic wrap and a clean kitchen towel. Allow the dough to proof in a warm place until it doubles in size (45-60 minutes).
- Once risen, transfer the dough to a floured work surface and divide it into 4 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece into a ball.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into circles approximately ¼-inch/0.5-centimeters thick and 7-inch/17-centimeter in diameter.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pot.
- Once hot, add one rolled flatbread and fry for about a minute. Flip it over using kitchen tongs and fry for another minute.
- Ensure Langos is a nice golden brown, with some pale spots acceptable.
- Transfer each fried bread onto paper kitchen towels to absorb excess oil.
- Spread a mixture of crushed garlic and olive oil onto each Langos.
- Add a generous dollop of sour cream and sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
- Enjoy it warm.
-Choose a mild-flavored oil with a high smoke point for frying (avoid olive oil). Use at least 2 cups of oil for a 5-quart Dutch oven; less for a skillet.
-Consider using melted garlic butter instead of oil and crushed garlic.
-Feel free to customize the amount of toppings according to your preference.
-The dough should have a soft and sticky consistency.
-Proofing time may vary (40-60 minutes or more) depending on your kitchen’s temperature.
-Please note that nutritional information does not include toppings.