Hungarian Chicken Paprikash
Chicken Paprikash:1,5 kg chicken, cut into pieces
4 medium onions
2 tablespoon Hungarian paprika (40 gramm)
1 fresh tomato
1 fresh red or green bell pepper
50 ml olive oil
200 ml ( 1 cup) sour cream or Creme Fresh
1 tablespoon flour, all purpose flour
Dumplings:400 gr flour, all purpose flour
2 eggs (whole)
1 tablespoon salt
500 ml water
My mom taught me how to cook this dish. It has been made like this for generations.
- Slice the chicken into pieces. Dice the onions.
- Heat the oil, add the onion, add some salt and fry the onion for 5 minutes.
- Remove the vessel from the stove, add the green or red pepper, the sliced tomato and the chicken, then add the halfed pepper, salt it, stir it, cover it and continue to cook. It must be cooked at low heat for about 40 minutes (stir it from time to time).
- The paprikash dish does not need extra water.
- If the chicken is soft, remove it from the stove and take a bit from the chicken sauce and mix it with the flour and the sour cream until it's smooth.
- Cook for 8 minutes at medium heat.
- While the chicken is cooking, you can make the dumpling:
- Boil water and add a little salt.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dumpling ingredients and mix well to form a homogenous dough.
- Drop, using a spoon, tiny bits of this dough into the boiling water.
- Stir it sometimes. It needs about 5 minutes to be ready. Pour off the water, rinse it in cold water and sprinkle it with a little olive oil.
- Serve immediately with the paprikash.
prepared by: ©Szilvia Somorjai
recipes you might be interested in: